Hawthorn is used traditionally as a cardiac tonic and to relieve high blood pressure. It it easy to obtain and the dried berries provide excellent medicine for various heart conditions.
- Medical News Today: Autism risk increased with prenatal exposure to banned chemicals August 23, 2016Exposure to organochlorines - chemicals banned in the U.S. in the 1970s - in pregnancy may increase offspring's autism risk by 80 percent, study finds.
- Medical News Today: The war on sugar: 'Children should consume fewer than 6 teaspoons daily' August 23, 2016A new statement from the American Heart Association recommends children aged 2-18 limit their added sugar intake to fewer than 6 teaspoons a day.
- Medical News Today: Early indicator of esophageal cancer risk found in Barrett's cells August 23, 2016Testing genetic diversity of Barrett's cells in food pipe could give early indication of which people with Barrett's have higher risk of esophageal cancer.
- Medical News Today: How to Deal with Fire Ant Bites August 23, 2016This article takes a look at fire ants and their bites, including information on symptoms, treatment, home remedies, and prevention.
- Medical News Today: Gut bacteria, antibiotics, and the rise of type 1 diabetes August 23, 2016Antibiotics impact the type and number of bacteria found in a healthy gut. Could these changes be responsible for the mysterious rise of type 1 diabetes?
- Medical News Today: Potential lung disease-causing fungi found in wind instruments August 23, 2016Wind instrument musicians are at an increased risk of a potential hazard dubbed 'bagpipe lung' that could lead to chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
- Medical News Today: Is It Strep Throat? Pictures and Symptoms August 23, 2016How can you tell the difference between strep throat and other conditions that affect the throat? The symptoms and pictures in this article could help.
- Medical News Today: Family, not friends, lowers death risk in older age August 22, 2016Having more family and feeling closer to relatives in older age was found to reduce mortality in a new study, but the same could not be said for friends.
This is a free and independent website, supported mostly by voluntary donations from the people who use the site - people like you. I would like the website to remain as independent as possible, so it would be great if it could be directly supported by the community. Everything is appreciated, and it all helps to support me as I develop and maintain the site.
- Earl Grey tea and muscle cramps May 7, 2016
- Black Sage (Salvia mellifera) May 1, 2016
- Tincture making: Calculations for alcohol of different proofs September 5, 2015
- YERBA MANSA (Anemopsis californica) | Ethnobotany & medicinal uses August 15, 2015
- Natural painkillers (part 1) – Corydalis for chronic pain (ie. arthritis) August 10, 2015
- Where does Echinacea come from? May 6, 2015
- TerraVita Herbal Symposium of Southern California March 3, 2015
- Howie Brounstein & Steven Yeager: Bitters, Digestion, and Oregon Grape March 3, 2015
- Beat Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) without antibiotics May 20, 2014
- Medicinal Trees: meet the Peruvian Pepper Tree (Schinus molle) May 5, 2014